Monday, April 2, 2012

George Harrison would have been terrible at dieting

And, I would have made a terrible 1960's rock star!  Let me explain.  I just read the Pattie Boyd autobiography titled "Wonderful Tonight," you know, the gorgeous blonde who was married to George Harrison.  And I cannot help but wonder about the extremes in his behavior.  According to her and her book, he would spend months holed away in his meditating room, hardly speaking to anyone, immersing himself in chanting and holiness.  And then he would go on a bender, with the drinking and the drugs and the women, all at once, (much to poor Pattie's unhappiness.) 

Is this not too much unlike dieting?  Or rather, the dysfunctional cycle that so many of us women, and some men, seem to put ourselves through?  We cheat on our diets by giving in and feel like "to hell with it," and before you know it, we've eaten a whole cake.  Then the next morning, we feel guilty and don't eat anything except celery until we can't stand it anymore.  And on and on it goes....

Don't get me wrong, I love George Harrison, he was my favorite Beatle.  And I can feel some sympathy for his behavior (especially since I wasn't married to him), since it just seems to come from the same inner spiritual void that we all seem to feel.  I really think that if I'd been a male 60's rock star, I would have acted in exactly the same manner.

1 comment:

  1. Fortunately, George was naturally thin, and also very gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete