Saturday, April 21, 2012

Battle of the books

He keeps shoving it in my hand, oh gee, how funny and charming it is (sarcasm).  I have a good argument, no?  That he hasn't read any of the books I've read over the past 10 years that have shaped my diet to what it is now?!!!  Fine.  I agree, I will read your book, "The China Study,"  IF you read mine.

Now the question is, what are my books?  There have been so many, which have led to various cookbooks of various and opposing philosophies.  I went through the grains and beans phase, I've got "Skinny Bitch" (catchy title!)  I've got lots of Moosewood (which I still love,) but the mother of my book collection that is what finally and completely made sense to me is "Real Food" by Nina Planck.  I just love her.  Reading this book was one of those "aha" moments.  It finally made sense!!  Especially since I have been through so many food phases, as she herself had as well.  I also grabbed my copy of "Pasture Perfect" but it's been so long that I can't remember what it says.

I should add that by "diet philosophy," I mean what I eat when I am trying just to maintain weight, rather than to lose it, as I am now.  Although the low carb approach can sort of fit in with the Real Food/grassfed meat approach, kinda sorta.

Also, our two dieting philosophies don't disagree on everything, there are actually some common intersecting ideas, which are the obvious ones:  don't eat sugar, don't eat refined crap like white bread and rice, don't eat processed crap with added crap like corn syrup and chemicals and, of course, don't eat crap.

Did I mention that I married a lawyer?

Well here I go, I better study up for my case and review my facts, because a showdown's a comin around.

No comments:

Post a Comment