Friday, March 16, 2012

maybe I should just move, but not back to Manhattan

It's all relative.  Body perception, that is.  A good friend of mine told me yesterday about this glorious place in upstate New York, called...Buffalo New York!  Apparently, in Buffalo, she claims, she feels extremely thin, because of the many huge obese people there.  It is so, sadly commonplace there, she claims to see very overweight people at the all you can eat buffets, which specialize in barbeque ribs and such greasy yummy fare.

Even just writing this, I feel guilty.  The poor health of so many people shouldn't be anything to joke about.  Even worse, their emotional health is my guess as to what continues the cycle of not being able to lose the weight, combined with a cultural norm for eating alot.  If an averagely overweight person like myself (20 lbs too much) has a hard time losing weight and gets discouraged about it, I imagine that in their hearts, they just feel desperate and hopeless.

Okay, so I won't joke about it anymore.  Let me instead complain about going into Manhattan, which I do a couple of times a week.  Now, I lived in Manhattan for many years, and during that time, when I had a naturally young and svelte body, I felt nothing but fat and bulges.  What a waste!  All I saw around me were starving supermodels and ballerinas.  It's amazing, to think that, when I see a beautiful young woman in her 20's in New York, that she probably feels ugly, fat, and jealous much of the time.

And now, (some) years older and 20 pounds heavier, forget about it!  I am an elephant tromping around the concrete jungle with doe eyed giraffes gracefully prancing on by.  At least I don't live in L.A.  And at least I'm not a former actress.  Yeah, it would be so, so sad, to be a rich, overweight former actress.  Especially a successful one.  Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment