Friday, January 6, 2012

Meat week

It's week five of my low carb diet.  the past two weeks, I only had 3 protein shakes a day, and just one solid meal.  This week, all of a sudden, for metabolic reasons, I am supposed to eat 3 meat meals with a side of veggies (totalling now more than 10 carbs), and then if I am hungry, I can snack on.......more meat, or fish, or eggs.

This, according to the book "The 6 Week Cure for the Middle Aged Middle" is supposed to rev up my metabolism, and yet at the same time, to not store any of those excess calories because of the very low amount of carbs I will be taking in.

I'm often left wondering--what the hell can I eat???

I am a foodie snob, plus I try to be as conscientious as I can about animal welfare, and still be a carnivore, which means that I shop at the mother of all grocery stores---Whole Foods, aka Whole Paycheck.  I admit I am lazy.  I've met people who buy cow shares, who take field trips to farms so they can see for themselves how the animals are raised etc.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to do all those things, and maybe someday I will.....when I have time, but in the meantime, I still spend outrageous amounts at the common haven for those seeding a quick fix to a very profound fundamental question.

To make matters worse, besides the face that Whole Foods clearly pushes their vegetarian agenda in your face, is that they have this bizarre new numbers rating system, from 1 to 4, where I guess 4 means the animals were played harp music, and 1 means they were sort of not given as much poison crap to eat as most factory farmed meat.  The problem is, most of the meat has no number at all, then then the rest are labeles as 1, and then there's a very few primo meats that are labeled as 4.

So of course, me being me I pick the 4 meat and rethink whether or not I really need to pay the mortgage this month because well, it's meat week, and I needed to make four awesome meatloafs!  And make the I did  You should have seen my cats salivating.  4 meatloafs.  2 lbs ground beef, grassfed from Skillman farms, 2 lbs ground pork, outrageously $s but had that #4 rating, and 2 lbs of ground lamb, which had no number, but neither did any other lamb.  Too bad they don't patronize Bobolink farms, which is awesome and local.

Now my 4 greasy, meaty, delicious loafs are steaming hot and ready to eat.  Yum.  Oh, and I picked up some canned chickpease and potatoes for my hubby.  So sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment