Wednesday, January 18, 2012

artificial sweeteners are just starting to taste so gross

I used to be a five-spoons-o'-sugar in my cupa coffee every day kinda gal.  I had a particularly boring job, and the more boring the job got, the greater my caffeine/sugar combo addiction became, until I think I just because so immune to the effects that it became more of a pain to drink all that coffee and then have to pee, all day long, as it still wasn't keeping me awake anyway.

And then, someone made a radical suggestion.  Coffee without sugar.  BLECH!  I thought, until I cut it down, little by little, and voila.  I LOVED coffee with no sugar.  It tasted great, even better than before!  I think that the taste of sugar in our culture is so predominant, that we don't even know what real food is supposed to taste like without it.  Now, the taste of sweetened coffee makes me want to puke.

So, for my diet, I am alternating meat week, with "shake week."  Where I drink three protein shakes a day, and only eat one actual meal.  I faithfully followed the prescribed recipe for this shake, which includes whey protein powder, some kind of freaky amino acid, cream, and a packet of artificial sweetner.  It tasted okay, until one day I realized that I had forgotten to add the packet....and the shake tasted fine.

Thinking it must be generally healthier, I started omitting the sweetener packet.  But today I followed the recipe for "chai tea" fake shake stuff, and I didn't realize the chai tea in a box comes pre-sweetened.  Drinking this stuff, all I could taste was that sickening "sweet" taste which actually doesn't really taste sweet if you really focus on it, but more of a gross, happy elf-on-crack, singing carols in a screetchy voice kind of sweet. 

Being stuck at the car dealership, waiting for the mechanics to "work hard on correctly installing" some crap as they charged me by the hour, I really had to choice but to drink it, cause it was either that or Taco Bell.  Oh man that sounds good all right, but I still have to loose about 20 pounds.  I drank it down, hating every sip more than the last, and now I feel like I want to puke.  I think now I"ll just make my own damn chai tea, unsweetened.

No comments:

Post a Comment